7/8/09

Family reunion in Da Nang, Vietnam




 

  

Hello Family and friends,

I just wanted to share with y'all  about the progress from my trip. Two Sundays ago, I had the distinct pleasure of reuniting with family members in Da Nang, Vietnam (where my mom is from) for the first time in almost fifteen years. What a great time we had! I finally get to set foot on the soil of my ancestors... My words cannot express what I felt that day. And I don't know if I will ever be truly able to articulate how I felt that day! All I know is that I felt a tremendous relief of a burden that I had been carrying my whole life had suddenly been lifted off of me. Plus I finally got to see my grandmother's (RIP Do Thi Bui 2000) ancestral altar. I couldn't help but weep!


I was able to reunite with my cousin (Anh Bi), and my two aunts (Mung and Linh). They are all doing well, he is in the shipping industry and owns a hotel in Da Nang and Saigon. Plus I met his wife and two year old daughter. She is quite adorable! Then Bi took us to his hotel where we went to a room where Auntie Mung was, it was quite an exciting day. 


Then Bi took us to the beach at Da Nang. I have never been any white sand beaches in my travels, but Da Nang's beaches are like we say Dep qua! (Very pretty/beautiful!) Here are some of the pictures of us at the beach. Plus we got to eat some crab, squid and snails on the beach!!! 

Fortunately, for us Bi negotiated with the ladies selling food on the beach. He told them that "Why are you cutting their throats, they are poor college students!" So they lower the price of crab from 400, 000 VD (~ $23.00 US) to 250,000 VD (~ $14.00 US)! The whole meal costs us about 400,000 VD... I hope you enjoy the pictures of the beach!














No comments:

Post a Comment